Friday, August 25, 2006

Research trip to KZN

I've just returned from a family history research trip to KwaZulu-Natal.

Actually we went down last Friday -- Val, Jethro and I -- leaving after Val finished work, and went straight down the toll road, arriving at midnight at Val's sister Elaine's place in Pinetown, and crashed on the floor. Next morning we went in to Durban to buy a second-hand Subaru station wagon to replace our stolen Toyota Venture. Val and Jethro returned the next day, but I stayed a few days to visit friends and family and do some research.

I spent a day in the Durban archives, looking almost exclusively at family divorce records. These usually give details of minor children, so was able to add a few to the family tree.

Then I spent a couple of days in Pietermaritzburg archives, mainly looking up deceased estates. I had a list of things to look up that was 27 pages long, and managed to get through 8 of those pages, so another research trip is needed!

I visited Arthur and Ann Reynolds in Merrivale, near Howck. Ann Reynolds (nee Stayt) is my second cousin on the Vause/Cottam side of the family. Her grandmother Ruby Stayt was sister of my grandmother Lily Hayes (nee Vause). They are now retired, and living in a cottage on their son Brian's farm.

I got home yesterday, and will probably spend a couple of days sorting and entering the new information.

No comments: